This is a long-established small bakery, located in the centre of downtown (8 St, 10 Ave).
I was really excited to try out this place, especially since it was within 20 minutes walking distance from my place!
So today on new year’s eve, I decided to grab some stuff.
- This was the most raved about item on the internet by various reviewers.
- Although it was a large and flavourful cake slice, I found the cake itself to be a tad dry. This was a sandwich type of cake i.e. there was a decent layer of buttercream in the middle of the cake and the cake was covered in buttercream all around it. In fact, it was the buttercream that stood out: very smooth, creamy and not overly sweet. This was topped up with lots of coconut flakes.
- Overall, it was a tasty large piece of cake that was worth trying.
- This was another popular product of theirs.
- A rather bland shortbread base had a a very rich, thick lemon filling on top. This was extreeeeeeemely sweet for me.
- If you are a fan of the biscuit base cheesecake, this won’t meet your need as it does not have the regular graham cracker biscuit base.
- Cheesecake itself was very thick and average; nothing “wow” to me.
- Chocolate parts: quite bitter, creamy and rich to my liking. If you do not like bitter/semi-sweet chocolate that you would not enjoy this.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- Lack of buttery taste.
- Very light and a bit soft (I’d prefer it to be baked a little more).
- Chocolate chips were adequate and quite sweet.
- Overall the shortbread cookies were not sweet. Since I’m a person who does not like things “too sweet”,this definitely means something: that it’s hardly sweet! 🙂
After having all of this, I am sugar overload! Would I come back here? 50:50 chance. I would because of the location (easily accessible since I currently don’t have a car) but I found everything a bit overpriced. Each item were around $3.50-$4 each and a bag of 6 cookies were around $9.
I have already tried out majority of the bakeries in Calgary and I know exactly which ones come to the top of my list 😉 I will tell you my secret shortly!