Having experienced so much choice of sweet baked goods in Montreal, and to some extent, little choice in Calgary; I was really desperate to find out my “go-to” place here. Now that I’ve finally tried out majority of the bakeries in Calgary, I can proudly share my list of “The Best” places to eat (for sweet delicacies) in Calgary; enjoy!!!
- Bumpy’s – Muffins – picture
- Buttermilk Waffles – Waffles – read here
- Crave Cupcakes – Cupcakes
- Dove’s Nest – Afternoon tea (scones, pavlova etc) – read more
- Epiphanie Chocolate – French gourmet chocolates
- Glamorgan Bakery – Fresh cream cakes, cheese buns, waffle biscuits – read more
- Monplaisir Delicacies – Macarons and Belgium chocolates (Neuhaus) – read more
- Rustic Bakery – Cake loaves
- Sidewalk Citizen – Bakba, bread, sticky buns, other sweet goods – read here and here and here!!
- Yann Haute Patisserie – Croissants, Almond Croissants, Pain au Chocolat – read more
And to compliment the above, my favourite places to buy loose tea in Calgary are:
- The Tea Factory – The Royal Earl Grey is the best!
- David’s Tea – Oolong Supreme and Earl Grey Rooibos are currently my fave
Once again The Coupe did it for me.. This time I just got a takeout of their popular Coconut Chai Latte. It’s like no other chai latte that I’ve had…I just don’t know how they make something that’s generally ordinary to something extraordinary!! I only know one other vegetarian restaurant that does this: Prashad Indian vegetarian restaurant in Bradford, U.K.
Nevertheless, I can now officially say that The Coup is my favorite restaurant in Calgary! And my favorite vegetarian non-Indian restaurant!
This is a new vegan place that has recently opened in various locations in Montréal.
We ordered the following:
- Asian Fusion Powerbowl: that had smoked tofu and vegetables
- Carrot Keftedes
The Powerbowl was a huge portion. The tofu was very tasty, but everything else was slightly on the raw side and was little cold. It contained very little seasoning, but it was served with a sauce (which didn’t help that much).
The burger was quite small; so if you’re really hungry, you have to order more food. This is a quite popular dish here and is meant to taste like meat, but I found the party a bit dry and a little tasteless.
I was told that the Carrot Keftedes was really good. This was sweet but was not cooked, nor raw. It wasn’t that warm either.
Service- very slow, but the sales lady was quite new and she kept apologizing for the delay.
Ambiance – consisted of wooden chairs and a few benches; no music. It’s more of like a subway kind of place but brighter. However for a “higher than subway price”, I would expect a little more from them.
I wouldn’t come back because of the poor ambiance and the somewhat cold food. I would try other vegan/ vegetarian restaurants in Montréal.
A dopo, Italia!
Overall, if you go to Italy, you must try the following: Tiramisu, coffee, pizza, gelato, fresh pasta and local seafood! I’ll be back! Ciao!
Burek..one of the most delicious food I’ve ever had!! This was a beef Burek..basically it’s spicy minced meat wrapped around with freshly home made puff pastry…. Really comforting n fresh food. Only at Gaga’s Pizza, Calgary.
The most freshly baked, delicious muffin that I’ve ever had!! At Bumpys, Calgary
Best local pizza and service in Calgary @ Gaga Pizza